Originality:

Coimbatore India
DIRECT DILSE
Nov 02, 2003 07:25 PM 5503 Views
(Updated Nov 02, 2003 07:25 PM)

Originality:

'' When written in Chinese,the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents

danger, and the other represents opportunity'' -J.F.Kennedy.

I have always faced a crisis while trying to structure my review in an innovative manner. I have always looked at this as an oppurtunity for divergent thinking. In that background, I have structured this review on DILSE album, as an interview, and I hope you people support it, as you have done imy previous endeavours.

Mr.Reavan, We welcome you to our interview with you about Dilse album!

Thank you Sir, It is my pleasure and privelege to discuss about Dilse Album, one of the masterpieces of my master motivator A.R.Rahman. And the album also showcases my favourite song ever ''Dilse Re''

We wanted you to start with a brief description of the album. However it seems that you have already enunciated. Want to add something more?

Lemme make it wholistic Sir. Dilse Album is the music album of the film DILSE. The music was done by the Musical Midas A.R.Rahman, and lyrics was done by Gulzar. The album was released by CTV in the year 1998, and the album was a super hit.

Thats fine, How did you come to know of this album?

The period prior to Dilse was a cruel one. Avtually I had finished my XII exams and was trying my best to kill the five months time. I was inclined to listening to good music and was pestering my audio casette dealer for a good cassette. One day as I was running an errand for my mom, the guy yelled out for me and informed me that my idol had rendered a film, but in Hindi. I replied that Language didnt matter and immediately brought the casette. I was happier to see names like Maniratnam, Santhosh Sivan and faces like Shahrukh and Manisha. Actually in that period I wasnt following the Tinsel town with that enthusiasm, thanks to my pre occupation with board exams and chicken pox attack. So the whole thing came to me as a surprise...Pleasant Surprise. I did not waste any time in feeding the casette to the tape.

Very enthusiastic, Did you like the album straightaway? It is normally percieved that Rahman songs take their own time to catch fire

That was one of the specialities of Dilse. It gets into the listener, as instantly as duck to water. As you wisely mentioned, Rahman songs are not instant hits, they are intense hits. The first time you listen to any ARR song, you feel something mystic in the air. On hearing the third time, you will be able to recognise a pattern. The fourth or fifth time you will be caught by the tune and every further time you hear you start enjoying the essence of the music and go wild therafter. Thats the process, though the proportion may vary with individuals. But my affair with DilseRe..sorry Dilse was love at first sight..I mean love at first hearing. And many of the Rahmaniacs felt the same way. Dilse was therefore one of Rahmans special ones.

OK! Can you give us the pertinent points regarding the quantity and quality of the songs? And please make them concise.

OK Sir. Coming to the songs, they are six in number, three each on the two sides

Sorry to interrupt you Mr.Reavan! Can u elucidate upon these songs in the order of your personal oreference.. ie from the least preferred to the most preferred?

My pleasure again Sir. But lemme beg some time for that

< After a few minutes>

OK Sir. My least preferred song and I am sure the least preferred by all others is the repeated version of ''Chaiyya Chaiyya'' by Hariharan and Sukhwinder Singh. I think it is just a filler song, and there is nothing much special about the song to elaborate.

Next is ''Tuhi Tu'', a wonderful song that gives a mysterious feeling. Rahman had designed an uncertain duet in predominantly tense mood with a wonderful mix of varied instuments. Particularly his choice of percussions and their cohesion with the strings are excellent. The voices of Sonu Nigam & Kavita Krishnamurthi are more than convincing.

I would put ''Jiyanzale'' in the fourth spot, not because it is a poor one, but because it is one amongst the four best. The song is slightly Carnatic based, but has Rahman's special touch to it.

The song is wonderfully rendered by the nightingale Lata Mangeshkar and there is a Malayalam Interlude ''Kukurukuru''(M.G.Sreekumar)in the song, which adds pep to the song.

''Chaiyya Chaiyya'' in that period was a monstrous hit and was heard all over the places all over the day. If I am correct, Andrew Lyold Webber was so impressed with that particular song that he decided to go for Bombay Dreams. The song had everything afresh from the train background, Sukhwinder Singhs impressive debut, unbeatable Western Folk composition and a lot others. This wonderful song is a compulsory foot tapper and would easily create a gala mood.

The next in the list would be ''Yeh Ajnaabi'', a marvel of melody so wonderfully delivered by Udit Narayanan. If ''Chaiyya Chaiyya'' is a compulsory foot tapper, ''Yeh Ajnabbi'' is a compulsive eye closer. Even my uncle highly averse to this generation songs took a great fancy for this tumultously tragic song.

All the favourite things in my life had been the ones that I have been impressed at the first instance. In that sense, ''Dilse Re'' is my favourite song, not only in this albums, but of all the albums I have ever heard. This song sung by the master himself is a divine one. I am still in want of words to describe this song. It is one song in a life time.

Hearty appreciations for your views. I have a specific question. I believe that the album was released in your mother tongue Tamil also. Did that have any effect on the original Dilse?

As a matter of fact, it had many effects. ''Uyire'', the Tamil version was released the very next day and I didnt waste any time in procuring and listening to the cassette either. I dont know Hindi, so I didnt understand the lyrics of these songs. This feeling of incompleteness was addressed by the Tamil Version. The power of these lyrics ( I believe the lyrics of Tamil dont stick with the original meaning in Hindi, were far better) played a major role in influencing my liking for the songs. I liked all the songs in Tamil better, with the glorious exception of ''Dilse Re''. I always liked the original of ''Dilse Re''. However language need not necessarily matter for such beautiful songs and I will listen to them, even if they are played in Telug or Malayalam.

Thats nice of you Mr.Reavan! I think we have got all we wanted out out of this interview. Do you have any concluding remarks?

Well. Dilse is a high quality music album, a must for all Rehmaniacs and definetely a mast for mainstram music lovers. I am sure that persons having this album would play it consistently, and I request those who hadnt listened to this album(if any!) to kindly give your ears a treat. It is a musical piece directly directed to your DILSE. So DIRECT DILSE

Dil Se Songs