59 Tips

Anyone listening?
Mar 26, 2006 12:02 AM 5876 Views
(Updated Mar 26, 2006 12:52 PM)

Public Speaking! words which I am sure makes most of shudder with fear, anticipation and give sleepness nights...  For most of us, it comes across as an unwelcome task which we are given to perform when we are least prepared for it...A person who has this skill, is and would always be one step ahead of the mute achiever...so I guess, * Public Speaking becomes much more than a skill that few need...we all need it in our lives!

I am not an expert on public speaking...but yes, I have had my share on fumbles, stupid non sensical speeches and great moments of finesse! And in all humility, I accept that now I have outgrown the initial hiccups...I have started enjoying it and I do a good job of it...so let me give you ''my tips'' on being a good/average public speaker.

1. Let's start from the basics...Public Speaking has two simple words; public and speaking. So it put it ''mildly'', you need to speak in public. Do not expect that your speech would be in a room empty of people. Get the real picture in your mind!

2. The main focus when you speak is the clarity of words and thoughts. Do not wait till the last minute to get the script/lecture/presentation. Rehearsal is important; even if you do it just once. The idea of why you are there talking should be clear in your and the audience mind. You have a purpose of speaking; remember that!

3. Eye contact- Now that is the most important. Eye contact with the audience strikes immediate attention. Do not look at just one person. If you feel uncomfortable, look at 5 different people in different directions but try interacting with them. Do not act and speak like a robot!

4. Body Language- However upset/terrifies or angry you are...your audience is there to listen to you. Your body language should attract attention and not bore people to death.Remember hand gestures, voice modulation and breaks in speech are required and you ought to do that for effective speaking. Try being normal and everything else falls in place!

5. For the first timers, it is always a difficult task. The best method is to stand in front of the mirror and practice. This always work; but keep your eyes open and speak loudly...do not mumble!Try different ways and see which is most comfortable to you. Practice and you will do better each time!

I guess these tips are more  than enough to make you sit up and start talking! Public Speaking will always give you jitters...the fear would remain...but don't make it ruin you or your career. Speak up and make the world listen...I hope someone is listening now???

Comments welcome as always!