59 Tips

Effective communication in delivering speech
Jul 20, 2006 11:22 AM 8147 Views

In our organisation we were in practice to attend Saturday Assembly in proper corporate uniform.Once a forum of Juries decided to give chance to some representatives of each department to deliver speech before 2500 people. I was surprised when my name was proposed  and informed to me.  They gave me a paper in which some very technical definition of communication and many technical points were given. After going thru I thought it very difficult to just read out the paper and I myself written a short note pointwise on communication point.My name was announced and with confidence I approached to the Members of jury, just bent little downward and reached on dias.

Being first in my life to deliver speech before such a big curious and gentle audience I started but with in minutes, one of the jury member said Mr Sharma your voice is not reaching to the audience so please be little more louder. This was again a setback to me, on a person perpiring. But I regained my confidence and in a much louder voice I started my speech and continued for long and when I finished it, I was not only happy but surprised to loudest clapping from 2500 audiences for 2 minutes. Again one jury member asked a question what is the best medium of communication.

And to much astonishment to myself I said" No sir the question is not correct, medium is not the best but the objective is most important and to achieve that particular objective, we will select the medium . Like if I have to send a document direct to the persons thousand miles away, I will use fax machine but if I have to communicate some important message will use phone or cell phone. Again much to the astonishment, the same audience again clapped for around 2-3 minutes.

I have cited the above incidence of my life's first experience though I was very nervous, but I immediately regained my confidence before leaving chair in the auditorium.

My many co reviewers had expressed many points leading to successful speech so I need not to repeat them again, but few points I want to add as under:

> communication is not complete if the person to whom you are communicating has listened, understood and nodded to act accordingly as u wish or respond to continue the topic.

> Selection of your words should be straight and it should directly enter not only into the brain of the person/persons but their heart should respond positively.

Body language should be according to the circumstances.

Thanks for getting me