C.E.C Calgary - Worst place on earth!
Apr 08, 2009 10:55 AM 8430 Views
(Updated Apr 08, 2009 10:57 AM)

Last March 22, 2009, my family walked into Chuck E Cheese at 2612 32nd Ave NE Calgary AB Canada to celebrate the 3rd birthday of my son. We informed the hostess at the gate about the occasion and that our party would consist of around 30 people. We were presented with 4 adjacent tables. I could tell that they were having a busy day. Hence, we conceded but still reiterated to the attendant that we will need more tables as guests arrive later on. She smiled and said it should be fine. We are a big party of 18 kids ranging from ages 1-12 year-olds plus 10 – 15 adults. Surely, to think that we would fit in 4 small tables is beyond anyone’s comprehension. But still, we sat and prepared to have a fun party for the kids for we know we are welcome.

About half an hour later, the guests next to us started to leave. I figured I should come and secure the table since my guests were about to arrive. Supervisor Ian came over and said that I must not take the table as everything must go through him. I accepted his statement and stayed in our original table assignment. As the afternoon progressed and our tables got filled, a gentleman with his child sitting right beside us noticed that we needed more space for our party and offered to share their table with my husband who gratefully accepted. The man and his child were about to play and they did not feel the need for the space.

Seeing my cousin seated at the table that was offered, Supervisor Ian rushed over and rudely told her that she cannot sit there since he did not give us his permission. Much as we tried, he would not listen to us as we tell him why she was sitting there. He went on by saying, “That’s the policy. If you can not take it, leave”. He gave us a litany of things that really did not make sense since the gentleman was still there and we were offered to share. We did not force anyone to offer their table to us.Did he even pause to consider that? No, he responded by putting the reserved sign on top of the table for him to assign to other guests.

Naturally, for any normal person, this is outright rudeness and arrogance on the part of the employee. The offensive behavior was totally uncalled for and must not go unreported. I have searched and read your company policies concerning reservations and table assignments and nowhere, be in your official website chuckEcheese.com or restaurant area, does it say that seating arrangements are decided solely by the Supervisors.

I know that it was futile for me to argue against him and decided instead to file a formal written complaint to the head office. In the hope of finding the Supervisor’s name, I asked the man who was then talking to the supervisor. I said I needed to have a name when I file a complaint as I do not want any further trouble and since they were not wearing any nametags. He said Ian works for him and that he is the General Manager and he is the ‘man’ that I should talk to. He went on by repeatedly saying that he owns the place. All these were said in an angry high-pitched tone. I looked at him straight in the eye while I told him that surely, there must be someone higher than him. He went ballistic. He was shouting at the top of his voice, in my face, right in front of a full-packed Chuck E Cheese establishment! All because I wanted someone higher than him? I was livid! And before we knew it, he said “I am kicking all of you out of my building! You better be out in 2 minutes”. To be kicked out of a place is not as bad as to be humiliated and disrespected in front of many young kids and other parents for exercising your right. When asked why we were being kicked out, he blamed me for saying something that came across to him that he was being ‘unimportant’ and uttered the statement ‘I own this place and I can do whatever I want.’ That’s it? He wanted me to validate his importance and when I did not, he ordered/kicked us out without warning! Is this not pure arrogance and conceit?

To top it all, they(GM and Supervisor) both refused to give us a refund for the tokens that we had purchased earlier simply because it was us who forced them to throw us out. Have they heard of Canadian Consumer Law before?

As we leave, we took with us our crying, scared and bewildered children. I can not fathom how traumatic this experience must have been to them. The entire management team and some staff watched us as we exit like we were **criminals.

We are sending this to all parents and individuals who frequest this place. Let it serve as a warning that this nightmare can happen to anyone.*

Chuck E. Cheese's