Accessibility:

Local Sightseeing:

Hotels / Accommodation:

Safety:

Chiang Mai, you possess a charm of your own
Feb 11, 2002 10:36 AM 2336 Views
(Updated Feb 11, 2002 10:36 AM)

Accessibility:

Local Sightseeing:

Hotels / Accommodation:

Safety:

Yes, Chiang Mai does possess a charm of its own. The momoent you land yourself at Chiang Mai, the spell of the charm is on you, and you are spellbound by the all pervading spirit of the place. One can reach Chiang Mai from Bangkok by air, which takes only 45 minutes, or by overnight train journey, which, I am told is very comfortable. I have been to this nice city twice, the last one was in December 1999, and the first one was in 1994. On both the occasions it was to attend the Worldview International Foundation Annual General Meeting and the International Conference. Everyttime it is held in a decent and comfortable hotel. The 1999 event was held in the Chiang Mai Orchid Hotel, where everything is as beautiful as the Orchid.

At the 1999 AGM, I was elected as a Vice-President of the Worldview International Foundation, for a three-year term. The Temples are all Hindu Temples. The place is famous for the colourful umbrellas of different sizes made of paper. A Festival of Umbrellas is organised ar times. An Annual Tribal Festival is the most famous tourist attraction. But, among all these the Night Market stands supreme. About two kilometers long, it has something to offer to everyone visiting it . Crowded and narrow, you have to really get yourself ahead of others. All the foreigners buy from here duplicate Quartz models of Swiss watches of such famous brands like Omega. I have a couple of those watches. They keep accurate time, and do defy the originals. They run on batteries, which is pronunced by the sales girls as 'battelies.' There is also a small night market, where old Cameras are sold. I had bought the Cannon EOS 888 35 mm. SLR camera from here, and it has been giving me very good service. I had bought it quite cheap after bargaining for an hour or so. Its cost in India is Rs.16,800.00

Whenever I am in Bangok or Chiang Mai, I take a lot of fruits, available round the year. In the Hotels here, I take one or two plates of Caramel Pudding. My friend Varsha says that Chiang Rai, still on the north is better than Chiang Mai. May be that is my next destination, ofcourse with Varsha.

Chiang Mai