Acting:

Plot:

Mass Appeal:

Where is this world going???
Jul 11, 2001 06:24 PM 2335 Views

Acting:

Plot:

Mass Appeal:

This is not so much a review on this particular serial as it is on the concept propagated by this serial and others of its type. (Since I only saw about the 1st two episodes in full and in passing a couple of time).

This serial basically (as I have understood) revolves around some big family consisting of a father, mother, their sons and their wives and their daughters etc.

The entire storyline effectively revolves around the fact that none of the sons have any male progeny....beta....waaris..call it what you will....to carry in the family name. One of the sons does have a daughter...who I dont think has ever even been shown in the serial....she doesnt really count you see.

In fact, there is a kind of a race amongst the sons to have a male child as he will then be the waaris who will be the ghar ka chiraag and sabki aankhon ka taara and who will be a spoilt brat when he grows up and probably throw everybody out of the house and will not respect any woman..simply because he has not been taught to and because he is the all important male child!!!

Anyways, one of the daughter's in law had a miscarriage and then could not have a baby...but does she tell her father in law about it...no...that would mean letting him down...so instead of helping a poor child and doing their bit to curb world population by adopting a baby, she decides that she wants to hire a surrogate mother for her baby....and of course surrogate mother = baby boy. The possibility of a girl child doesnt even occur to her I think. this, coming from a well educated (HA!) girl.

Meanwhile, some other daughter in law is mighty gleeful because she is pregnant and she will win the race. (she by the way is the villainous DIL so I guess its not really in the best interest of everybody to have a waaris from her).

In any case I think these people take more time to have a baby than it takes in real life.

Oh yes...in the 1st episode they showed some lady who had been wronged by the father cursing him that he will never have a waaris (read male chld ... remember his granddaughters dont count)...well now this father is pretty upset because what if her curse comes true......he will never see his pota's face then.

(Oh yes I know all the typical dialogues that they use in the movies/serials)

Anyways..bottom line..my opinion is that this serial,..and others of this type...stink and suck and are sick.

Television, like cinema is a very powerful medium. It can be a shaping force in the mentality and outlook of people. They are supposed t send out the right kind of messages to people. We hear so many stories of children trying to jump off ledges like Shaktimaan because they saw him flying in that serial, and dying in the process. We also hear about some politicians getting all worked up to ban serials like Survivor because it shows cruelty to animals, or FTV because it portrays ''obscenity'' and ''nudity'' and is not part of our ''culture''. Then we all shake our head and say what a bad thing television is. But nobody stops to think about the kind of damage that serials like this have on our society. This kind of damage will never hit the headlines because it does not have any visible effects, but its effects are definitely more far reaching and danerous on the mindset of people.

We are supposed to be living in a progressive society. Agreed progressive does not mean permissive but this is not progress. These serials depict and propogate regressiveness, all for the sake of a storyline. These serials are taking us back in time when a girl was considered and treated as being inferior. How come none of the so called feminist brigades raising a voce agaisnt this?? We all know that till date female infanticide, female literacy and female mortality is a big problem in many parts of our country .....so don't these television channels which reach out to millions of people across the country have a moral right to inculcate the right kind of values. The family depicted in this serial is a rich affluent one....what happens when a poor man sees this....he thinks .. if this family can think and behave like the women do not exist, that a girl child is an unwanted burden, that one can go to heaven only if one has a male child to carry on the family name,....why cant I? So the poor man (like all the others) goes on adding to the Indian population till he gets his fruits of victory which will lead him to the gates of heaven....a male child.

Its not that I am male bashing person or anything...they are as much required in this world as a woman.....and I am all for equality of the sexes....though I think the first among equals are the female of the species (just a joke)..and I would also like to have son someday...just as much as I would like to have a daughter.

BUT....I am definitely against this kind of propogation by a medium which not only has an impact, but also has a responsibilty towards the society. They dont seem to have any qualms about the kind of regressive thinking that they are advocating. In fact, it is not the people are shown as villains or that there is naything wrong with they are thinking or doing...there must I am sure be viewers who fervently hope that the DIL gets her male child from the surrogate mother. I dont say surrogacy is wrong or right...like a lot of other things, it is a very personal choice.

But, what these serials could show is the option of adoption...it gives a child a home......which I guess is more important than giving a home a child.

Right?? I would appreciate your comments and thoughts on the issue.

Chandan ka Palan Resham ki Dori