Features:

Dec 28, 2007 08:26 PM 7287 Views

Features:

Battery life:

Picture Quality:

I have recently acquired a Canon EOS 500N and I am finding it amazing to use, and I am getting some brilliant results. I have a standard EOS 500N, and it has perfect presets for, portraits, landscapes, sports, close up and night shots, as well as two fully automatic general photography modes. If you want to get more creative though it has loads of other settings, allowing you to change the ISO, Aperture, shutter speed in automatic modes, and do everything manually. It does have a built in flash, but there is a mount for an external flash or flash-gun, although I am finding the built in flash fine.

The camera can interchange lenses; it has a standard EF lens mount. I only use a 50mm f/1.8 Lens, but I’m hoping to get a zoom lens soon. The Battery Life is good and according to the manual will get you through 85 rolls of 35mm with 0% flash usage, 35 with 50% flash usage, and 17 with the flash used for every photo(at 20 degrees).

It will take any 35mm camera film, I mainly use full colour ISO 400, but a medium speed black and white film works very well for artistic shots, as this camera gives vibrant colours, and sharp images. - a good contrast effect can be achieved in black and white. I'm not sure if it takes APS film(Advanced Photography systems) as I have never tried, although looking at it now, I can't really see anywhere it could go.

All of the settings(like exposure and Aperture priority) are changed digitally, and displayed on a small LCD screen at the top of the camera behind the shutter release button. It has an automatic film advance and film rewind and displays the exposures left on the LCD display panel. The case is very robust for a plastic one, I have dropped it once and found my dog sitting on it another time, and the camera is perfectly fine(lucky the lens was detached both times though).

There is a feature that allows you to use Aperture Bracketing, which I haven't found in many of these kinds of SLRs on the market, which for me was a bonus(Aperture Bracketing takes normally 3 exposures at different apertures, e.g., 1 stop up two stops down or whatever you set it to).

I recommend this camera to enthusiastic amateurs, as it is easy to learn, and helps you to learn all about photography. It's not an expensive camera anymore and is definitely worth purchasing. - Note: The Lenses will still be pricey as Canon still use EF Lenses.

Canon EOS-500N