Picture Quality:

Shutter Speed:

Battery life:

Canon

A wonderful camera - great to look at and use
Apr 22, 2005 01:31 PM 3387 Views
(Updated Apr 22, 2005 01:31 PM)

Picture Quality:

Shutter Speed:

Battery life:

I bought the Canon SD200 which is the equivalent model to IXUS200 in the USA. I carried out a lot of research before buying this camera and I have to say it is a wonderful camera after using it - albiet for a short time.

I set out to buy a camera that gave me 3.x Megapixels as I have found that is quite adequate for most purposes. I did not want a very high-end camera as I already have a Nikon SLR for that. Instead I wanted a very handy device that I could carry around anywhere and yet it gave me good results in most situation.

I zoomed down to three Cameras the Nikon Coolpix 3200, the Canon Powershot A510 and the Canon SD200.

The Nikon 3200 and Canon A510 were quite similar in functionality. The advantage that the A510 had was that it had a 4x optical zoom. But the Nikon was less bulky and had a better Flash. Also I visited many sites that had technical reviews of these models and also had sample snapshots. I found that in terms of picture quality the Nikon appeared to give a little sharper photos.

By this time I was more inclined to buy the Nikon. But then I saw the Canon SD200 and that simply took my heart away. First of all, it is one of the sleekest cameras out there. Very small and fits very easily into your pocket so that you can carry it anywhere anytime. Any smaller and it will get difficult to hold and take good photographs.

It is very easy to use and has very fast response times. Actually some of the other digital cameras will feel very sluggish once you have handled this nifty piece. It has a host of features and there are 2 which are stand out:

1. It has an awesome video mode, once of the best in digital cameras. It can take 640x480 snippets at 30fps. [But many other cameras offer that...]. What takes the cake is a 60 fps ability at 320x240. It is pretty cool to take some action shots in this mode, you can actually play back in slow motion.

2. In its segment it has manual control over long exposure, so you can take beautiful night photographs.

Both the above features and its sleek looks were not available in any other camera in its segment or price range.

Well that was the initial research - how was my experience after buying it.

So far so GREAT - is what I have to say (touchwood :-))

All the features work beautifully. I can actually carry it anywhere, in fact I could take a video while I was sitting on an amusement park ride in Six Flags, NJ, USA. Hardly something you can do with a bulkier camera.

And inspite of my initial apprehensions about picture quality (I told you that I thought the Nikon had better picture quality than the A510) - it turns out that the SD200 takes awesome pictures too.

All in all a fabulous and stylish package which is very responsive and all the functionality you can wish for in its segment - and finally that it delivers on its promise.

Canon Digital Ixus