Salary and Benefits

CEO Rating

244-245, Phase 4, Udyog Vihar, Gurgaon 122015, HR

+91-124-4098000

Lucknow India
No job security and unfair layoffs
Mar 27, 2020 05:25 PM 1068 Views
(Updated Apr 06, 2020 10:56 AM)

Salary and Benefits

Job Security

Career Growth

Work Environment

CEO Rating

I joined one of the Biggest MNC’s of our field Bechtel Corporation on the 5th of January 2015, as a permanent employee on Bechtel payroll.Like any other Engineer, I was on cloud nine. It was a dream come true to join one of the biggest MNC’s of our field. For the initial two years, things were fine. However, by the end of 2016 Bechtel was not able to garb enough work to utilize all its employees. Due to that, Bechtel started terminating the contract employees and started asking Bechtel payroll employees to resign.

There was no difference between a contract or a Payroll employee. Many people lost their #jobs.On the 1st of September 2017, I was also instructed to resign and the 30th of September 2017 was my last working day. At that time my wife was pregnant, and we were expecting a baby in October. So, I requested company management to reconsider their decision. They refused to do so, however, they agreed to allow me to utilize my leaves from 1st to 31st of October and thereby to extend my last working day to 31st of October, 2017, so that I could avail the Medical policy of the company for the delivery.Finally, on the 20th of October 2017, I was blessed with a baby girl and on the 31st of October 2017, I became #jobless.In Bechtel, there is no proper criterion for choosing a person to be laid off.

They said to me, "Safal! there is no problem with your performance, however company is going through a bad phase, that is why we are telling people to leave, you are not alone, we are telling others also.When I asked my HOD, he informed me that I was being laid off as the project I was working in was going to be finished, however at the same time they shifted another person of my profile, whose project was already finished, to my project, to save his job.When I discussed that with the Head Of Department, he informed me that he was not even aware of the new guy being shifted to my project.Also, on paper, Bechtel does not fire any employee, rather they force an employee to resign so that nobody can go to court to file a case against them.

Most of the employees resign being afraid that if they do not resign, the company will not provide them experience letters and blacklist them.Bechtel claims to be the most ethical organization in the world. A lot of courses are assigned to the employees on ethics. Ethics and Compliance Committee is there. An ethics officer is there. They check employee background strictly. Your previous companies bosses and colleagues are called on their mobile phones, to make sure that you actually worked with them. An officer is sent to your home, to make sure that the residence address details provided by you are correct.But when it comes to layoffs, they do not follow any ethics.

My verdict: Never ever even think of working for them. You may get a high salary but job security is zero. And once you are jobless this market treats you like trash.

Bechtel India Pvt Ltd