Accessibility:

Hotels / Accommodation:

Safety:

Less on Expectations
Dec 09, 2005 03:06 PM 2267 Views
(Updated Dec 09, 2005 03:06 PM)

Accessibility:

Local Sightseeing:

Hotels / Accommodation:

Safety:

Hey you can smell LPG on the roads in Bangalore......

When I landed in Bangalore for the first time some two years back, my expectations were high. I wanted to see the place which hosts the big names in Software Industry today. I wanted to see the place which has evolved from being the capital of Karnataka to The I.T. capital of India.

To be very frank, it was a set back when I came out of the airport. I straight away got caught in the huge traffic jam which was atleast half a kilometer long. As I had travelled from New Delhi, and in New Delhi, these kind of jams are rare. I could see that the roads were narrow, there was a lot of dust in the atmosphere and there was practically no traffic sense.

As they say, the first impression is the last impression, this review of mine does not praise Bangalore at all. You can leave it here because I donot want to be playing with your feelings about this so called and over-hyped metro.

The City

Bangalore is a small city where distances are not much. If you want to go from one extreme of the city to another, it will hardly be 35 Kms. The city is filled with lush green trees which are the lone saviours against the extremities of pollution this city has. Bangalore has emerged as the I.T. Capital of India. Thanks to the innumerable software firms which this city has. This city bears a cosmopolitan kind of life style because of the purchasing power and the higher salaries which these software companies offer to today's youth.

Places of interest:

Vidhan Soudha This beautiful building of the State Legislature is probably the most famous in Bangalore.

Tipu's Palace A worth visiting place. This palace was the summer retreat for Tipu Sultan and is a two stories building made up of wood. This has been converted to a museum that contains artifacts dating back to Tipu's era.

Bangalore Palace Surprisingly it looks like some British Palace. You cannot enter this place and thus I cannot write much about the interiors.

Lalbagh and Cubbon's Park The two huge green patches in the city. Lalbagh has the famous glasshouse which has more than 1000 varieties of rose. Cubbon's Park is situated right in the center of the city and has the state library. It's beauty is enhanced by the innumerable statues and fountains. Collectively these two parks stroll for more than 500 acres of greenery.

Why should one live here??

You have to be in Bangalore if you are in the software profession and you want to grow careerwise. If you belong to the southern parts of India and you are into IT profession, then Bangalore is the place to live.

Also, if you are from a small town where you can accidentally meet a lot of people you know, if you are out for shopping, then Bangalore is worth a place. This facility is not available in Mumbai or Delhi. Believe me, in my 2 year stay in Mumbai and Delhi, I never crossed paths with the people I know. I only used to see them in my locality or the offices. But in Bangalore, it can very well happen that you can meet your old friends regularly.

Also the climate of Bangalore is good. The temperature is not extreme in summers and the presence of the sun over one's head is soothing. The winters are cold but nothing as compared to the extremities of Delhi where I have seen the temperature dipping down to as low as 3 degrees.

If you drink, this city has a lot of pubs for you. On every corner of a road you have a wine shop and in every 1 Km stretch, you have a good drinking point.

The markets in Bangalore are good and you can get anything from a needle to a robot in these markets. Well established markets like M.G. Road/Brigade Road, Garuda Mall, Forum Mall can be expensive but that is the case with any other city in India. The Kanjiwaram silk sarees of Bangalore are world famous. Please check out the showrooms at M.G. Road.

Why should one not live in Bangalore

Smoking kills, but pollution of Bangalore kills earlier.

You can smell the LPG on roads. This smell is because of the smoke thrown out by the innumerable auto rickshaws on its roads. The amount of dust in the air is so high that you can feel it in your mouth. These kind of conditions are sufficient to cause lung disorders like asthma, cough, chest congestion. Believe me, I didnot cough for a single time when I went home for 8 days, I returned to Bangalore and I started coughing.

Excessive Traffic

With very small rather practically no proper roads, the traffic condition of this city is pathetic. I had lived in two of the metros and in Delhi, I have travelled 23 kms in just 30 mins. Here if you have to travel 23kms, be prepared to give 2 hours of your precious time. Thanks to the illiteracy (as far as the traffic sense is concerned) among the people. Bangalore has a lot of Software Engineers in the age group 24-28. Normally they prefer travelling by a bike rather than travelling by car. Someday, they will grow older and they will purchase a car. I am sure, the traffic conditions will become hell in the coming few years.

Loot-maar

An autowala can charge you anything from Rs. 10 to Rs. 50 for one kilometer. I have personally witnessed the same. If you are from north india and do not understand kannada, be prepared to be looted by the people here. The real estate agent, the RTO agent, the railway agent, the auto wallah, all will have their eyes on you. Beware!!!

So I believe that Bangalore is just another city and there is nothing great about it. If Bangalore rocks, Delhi rocks more and Mumbai is the ultimate rocker in my view.

Bangalore