Road Grip:

Rs. 46,000 (Ex-Showroom)

Bajaj

THE WIND BIKING !!!!!
Sep 22, 2004 06:31 PM 3256 Views
(Updated Sep 22, 2004 06:34 PM)

Road Grip:

How many times has it happened that you did something when everyone was telling you not to? But, you stick to your decision and finally after some time the outcome is for everyone to see. You were right and now the others also appreciate your decision. The feeling of happiness and pride you get at that moment is unmatched. And this was the feeling that I experienced after buying my dream vehicle WIND 125!

Not even a single person backed me up and encouraged me to buy this bike! Everyone joined in the bandwagon of Honda! They said the biggest problem with Wind is that it?s a Bajaj product. You must go for Hero Honda. So most were telling me to go for Passion, Splendour or CD Dawn (as I wanted a bike in the 100-125 cc category).

The reasons they put up for Honda were - its engines are very fuel efficient, its goodwill is great thus you get a good resale value and its tried & tested (no one had ever driven WIND)! Well, I don?t know about your cities, but here in Jaipur you will hardly find WIND! If you roam the streets for one month then you may find one or two! It?s as rare as Hero Honda Karizma!

And this indeed was one of the main reasons I wanted to buy WIND! I?ve always had a passion to be different from others. I believe in the ideology of Sheep walk in flocks, where as Lion walks alone!Majority of people call me names like crazy, fanatic, radical and what not! But they don?t know that their this attitude gives me more strength to stick to my decisions.

Thus, the final verdict was ? I indeed bought WIND by going against everyone friends, relative and even family! I must admit that the only ones who encouraged me to go for this bike were the girls of my age group. They found this bike really cool and said it will suit my personality. And who can give a better fashion statement than these chicks for whom most of the guys buy bike?

Finally the day arrives as I enter the showroom to buy the bike. Even before five minutes of purchase some friends were constantly nagging and shaking their heads! They said you will regret your decision and it?s not good to be stubborn always! I said, well even if it may be a wrong decision but the important thing is its mine! The kind of person I am, I prefer to learn from my own mistakes and I want to make my own mistakes (that?s the only way one can develop)! Nothing grows under the banyan tree!

But trust me guys, deep inside my heart I always knew my decision isn?t wrong! And once I got the keys and drove the vehicle home I understood what a gem of a decision I made! Even those nagging friends were awed by the magnificence of the bike! One who had recently bought a Passion Plus and was telling me to buy the same, wished he had waited for some time and regretted his under-estimation of THE WIND BIKING!

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Engine ? 4 Stroke, Single Cylinder, Natural Air Cooled.

Bore X Stroke ? 54.00 mm * 54.40 mm

Lubrication ? Wet sump forced

Transmission ? 5 speed constant mesh

Front Brake ? Drum Brake

Rear Brake ? Mechanical expanding shoe type drum brake

Fuel Tank Capacity ? 13 Litres (Full) and 2.5 Litres (Reserve)

Electrical System ? 12 Volts AC + DC

Vehicle Kerb Weight ? 121 kg

Gross Vehicle Weight ? 251 kg

Max. Speed ? 105 km/h

Climbing Ability ? 25% (14 Degrees Maximum)

I have driven many bikes and haven?t found a one better than this till date! Once you drive Wind other bikes look like a charade, as if you are driving a moped! No Passion, Splendour, Victor, Freedom, Velocity or Calibre can give competition to this bike! It?s very tough to find a flaw in this bike. I mean everything is just so good. Gearbox is as smooth as it can get! The inclusion of 5th gear gives you an edge over the other bikers if you are fond of street racing like me! The shockers are e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t(as good as you may find in a racing bike)! You may feel I?m exaggerating but I don?t think Wind is too far behind Pulsar as far as the driving pleasure goes!

One shortfall that one may find in Wind is ? the average! Now wait before you form an opinion just on my that line! Company promises an average of 80 km/l. Thus if you drive it sensibly within 40-45 km/h you will easily get an average of 65 km/l. But the problem is you can?t. The pleasure of WIND BIKINGis so opulent that you just can?t help but race with the ?Wind? (even though you maybe a slow driver)!

The only bike, which I thought could give some competition to Wind, was Yamaha Fazer! If I hadn?t gone for Wind it certainly would have been Fazer! I took a test drive of Fazer and Jesus Christ the pick up was sooooooo good! I crossed 60 in no time what so ever! That?s the only area where Wind may lag behind than Yamaha bikes ? pickup! But yeah on a long route Wind will defeat these Yamaha bikes easily! And this is where the only bike which could give competition to Wind (Fazer) loses the battle! Oher than the pick up it has nothing else to boast about! Gearbox smoothness is nowhere near Wind! Even the driving comfort isn?t that great as the long handles sometimes tire you after a long drive! Other than this the absence of 5th gear, the mileage factor, the cost factor and the resale factor has hindered the success of Fazer!

Now coming to the seat! Wind has a longer seat than most of the bikes and comfort is as much as if you are sitting on your drawing room sofa! Even for the person sitting on back it?s such a pleasurable experience that he would prefer an out of station journey on the WIND rather than an Indigo!

Coming to the looks factor! Well the bike is just so hot that you?d give second glance to it any day by ignoring Jennifer Lopez! Especially the looks from the side are out of this world! I really hate Bajaj for stealing these looks and giving them to Calibre!

Now why has this bike failed in India? Well let?s put it this way. It wasn?t a surprise to me. Just as the same way most of the good movies fail in India and the crap ones earn profit! And I?d prefer if masses don?t buy this bike, as I can be one of those few very lucky ones who experienced heaven on earth! Driving Wind maybe considered one of the most pleasurable acts (at least with your pants on) in humanity!

Now to conclude I?d just say that choosing a bike is like choosing a girlfriend so make your choice carefully! I?m very happy with my bike and love it just as I should love my girlfriend. No one in my college has WIND other than me and I feel a sense of pride in driving that vehicle as others look with envy! Just the same way when other guys become jealous if you have a sexy girlfriend!