Medical Care:

1, Beside Satyasai Enclave, Khandagiri, Bhubaneswar 751030, OD

+91-674-6666600

Worst experience with AMRI, BBSR
Feb 28, 2021 02:44 PM 1425 Views (via Mobile)
(Updated Mar 05, 2021 04:12 PM)

Medical Care:

Wanted to rate -ve but unfortunately no such option.

The last 1 month (Jan - Feb) has been really painful, stressful for my family, and in the end, we lost our beloved mother. She had the most painful experience & death (not having food from 11th till 30th Jan) because of the sheer negligence of the doctor (the surgeon Dr. Saurajit Patnaik of AMRI, Bhubaneswar). It is taking time for all of us to come to terms with this great loss. May her soul rest in peace.

This is to bring to everyone’s notice as to how things went wrong and I have been also hearing a lot about this hospital, doctor’s attitudes towards patients. My post is not to hurt doctors fraternity in general or target any other doctor of that hospital but definitely, the doctor who handled my mother’s case and my interaction with him, his assistant surgeon as well. Even my mother expressed her concern about the doctor, general staff when she came to ward for a brief period of time.

We had admitted our mother (66 years old) on 8th Jan, for laparoscopic rectopexy surgery. The surgery happened on 11th Jan by Dr. Saurajit Patnaik. The surgeon (the so-called senior surgeon of AMRI, BBSR hospital) handled the colon (the large intestine) part so badly that my mother developed complications in 3-4 days post-surgery. As per the doctor, there might be a rupture of colon wall tissue while placing the mesh for which CT Scan revealed mild ascites. My mother had symptoms like vomiting, tight swollen stomach. She couldn’t have any food post-surgery. Then the doctor took the immediate decision to do another open surgery (which happened on 18th Jan) to clean up ascites and clear the intestinal area. The family members were not counselled of the ileostomy surgery which he performed (separating the large intestine and giving it rest for 3 months). Post-surgery we came to know what had been done by the doctor. We still had faith in him saying maybe the doctor knows the best for the patient and handled it accordingly though in the meantime we started taking 2nd doctor's opinion. It was a bit late by the time we heard back from 2nd doctor.

My mother remained in incubated ventilator for more than 5 days with a lot of her parameters going up & down. ICU in-charge Dr. Sarat Behera updated us perfectly on time to time basis. She came out of the ventilator mode on the 25th of Jan, doctor started with fluid items to observe the surgery path which again gave some surprises. There was bilious fluid discharge from the lower part of the wound area. By then I had already lost hope as second surgery was also a failure and third surgery not possible as per the same doctor. The attitude of the doctor was so casual when I asked why there is discharge again from the wound area since he mentioned before that there is no perforation in the small intestine. I am quoting his words here, “How do I know? We never handle the small intestine. You better look for another doctor’s opinion and I am ready to cooperate whatever best possible from my side. You don’t have faith in me.” Few other questions and answers to them made me understand that he has done it very casually and taken it as a subject to experiment with. He didn’t sound to me like a confident doctor who knows things end to end also didn’t bother to seek help of his peers with such experience. Even has so much ofego problem to reach out in his network to look for a solution.

We started reaching out to other doctors for help in Apollo. By then because of septic shock, my Mother’s oxygen saturation level started falling. To our surprise, we again came to know from other ICU doctors that the drain area has developed pus. I had raised this concern before with the doctor by just notice of the drain area leaking a lot and even brought to everyone’s notice to do the dressing very frequently. Finally, she breathed her last on 6th Feb. We reached out to the hospital unit head and operations to provide us with financial aid as the expenses were going real high without any definite indication of treatment or cure and it was because of the doctor’s negligence. The hospital waved off ~ 5 lakhs for this treatment but we lost our dearest Mom. I feel for the greater good, this post should reach out to the general public as this might repeat for anyone and we might lose our near & dear ones.

Do always ask the doctor for detailed procedures he/she going to perform, ask for more detail if things are not clear. Even ask for how many such cases he/she has handled before. Assess the doctor for their attitude towards the patient.

Bring out such cases to the public and let people know of such cases.

#Saurajit Patnaik