Room Quality:

Guest Services:

4, Madras Bank Road, Richmond Town, Bengaluru 560001, KA

+91-80-22273783

What's the Air about Airlines?
Mar 17, 2007 06:04 PM 3662 Views

Room Quality:

Guest Services:

Bangalore - some 30 years ago. 1977{perhaps much earlier too}.

Lesser people, lesser traffic, fewer cars and lots of fun. One of the places that was a MUST VISIT in Bangalore was Hotel Airlines - Drive In restaurant.

Most of the times it would be only the people who could afford the luxuries of owning cars who would visit this place.

Airlines. Just the name takes me down the very picturesque memory lane.

My dad's Dusty Grey Ambassador Mark II, with some 14 of us in the car, all brothers, cousins, etc. Mum and Dad.

As we swing into the gates of the Airlines Hotel, we first hear the shrill whistle from the Muchad Guard who is directing cars to be parked in the parking lot. The sprawling luscious greenery of the huge trees and beautiful decorative plants all around are so welcoming. As one steps out of the car, the coolness of the garden takes over, as you notice the gardener, a meek little fellow watering the plants and tending to them as though they are his babies.

As my Dad parks the car, in tandem with Mom, the instructions start:

" Look everyone, its too crowded.be good, do not fight.play in turns.come in time for your dosa."

However, as children the only thing that we are really interested in is jumping out of the car and being the first to enter the Tivoli Gardens to reach the Children's play area. We would run across, past the number of people sitting in the sit-out part of the restaurant shrieking and shouting.

The Play area had some really awesome slides and we would start with our antics with eachother and the game of one-up-manship.

In the meantime, Dad and Mum would have ordered the dosas and as they are waiting for the same to arrive, they would have found someone known to them in one of the neighboring cars and would have their opportunity to chit chat.

Now, the dosas would have come and we are called over.

The aroma of the lovely hot crispy dosas just raches our senses and nothing would stop us from feasting on them yet another time. The taste was truly divine.

Like I said earlier, the memories wont go away and as they are etched so beautifully in our minds, what is happening now is there is a lot of compariss.on and unfulfilled expectation.

Now I take my daughter to Airlines and I tell my wife that this place is half of what it was before. The trees and gardens are unkempt. So are the chairs and tables. Now, this is a haven for all kinds of people and not just family crowds. Sometimes there are some unruly lots who take no time in giving a taste of their eloquence in foulĀ language or raising their fingers, probably indicating that that finger was in some wrong place until they showed it to us.

The waiters are old and feeble, rude and shabbily dressed, without chappals too.

The chairs and tables are worn out and in fact it is really amazing that they could still be used.

The Children's Park is better than before but not cleaned or maintained.

The Dosas, KharaBath, etc. are simply oily and not at all tasty and are certainly over priced.

Probably the management care less for their customers now, because they do not matter anymore.

Bangalore has lost one of its feathers in the cap.

Airlines Hotel - Bangalore