A DECENT PAPER
May 16, 2001 11:13 AM 4427 Views

Maybe readers will find me a biased person wondering how come I never write a negative review about anything.You guessed it,The Afternoon is still one of my favourite papers.You see I have been a fan of Busybee,The editor of this paper who sadly passed away a month back and left a void in my life as far as good writing is concerned.His style was unique.He used to poke fun in a gentle way and never used to step on people's toes.The paper's circulation largely depends on Busybee's articles which is always on the last page of the paper in the lower left hand corner.All or international readers can log on to the afternoon despatch and courier and sample the late Journalist's writings.the column is known as Round and About.I think it is the longest running column in Bombay's history after R.K.Laxman's cartoons.Please correct me if I am wrong.This paper tries to be different.Everyday alongwith the daily headlines it focuses on different spheres of life.Mondays it features a section called Style.Tuesdays is reserved for the Business section.Even the Business pages are coloured beigeish like the Economic Times.Wednesdays are dedicated to Bombay city only.There is a contest where photos of popular landmarks are taken from all sorts of angles and prize coupons are given away to the first 3 lucky winners.Thurdays is reserved for the other gender without whom I cannot live without.Tell me where are we guys gonna be without women?I know, I am going to get hate mail for this.Fridays is for Bollywood the Indian Film industry.Their reviewer MR.TANUJ GARG does not have single good word to say about hindi movies.Come on,they are not that bad.But then,critics love to criticize.If only they learned to look at their selves so minutely then life wil be easier.I feel that some critics take their jobs so seriously that they end up having a myopic view of life.Again, I think my inbox is going to be jammed with best wishes.Saturdays is the relaxing day.It features the Health page and the contests page.Two contests are featured here and the winners get free food coupons to some of the best restaurants in Bombay.This scheme was started by the Editor because he was fond of food,the same MR BUSYBEE.By the way Busybee was his pen-name.His real name was MR BEHRAM CONTRACTOR.He was famous for his food reviews.Reading his reviews you felt as if you were tasting the food alongwith him.Alas he is no more and I really miss him.Well so you see why I like this paper.

Afternoon Despatch & Courier