Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

1942 - A CLASSIC MUSIC ALBUM!
Sep 30, 2003 04:14 AM 7122 Views
(Updated Sep 30, 2003 04:42 AM)

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

Movie: 1942 - A Love Story

Director: Vidhu Vinod Chopra

Music Director: R.D.Burman

Rahul Dev Burman - a name synonymous with countless hits and versatile tunes that have touched the hearts of millions across the globe. Fondly known as Panchamda, he is undoubtedly one of the greatest music directors to have ever stepped into Bollywood. 1942 – A Love Story was Burman’s last composition and, well, he couldn’t have asked for a better ending to a highly successful career!

All the songs of this album have three things in common – soft music using tablas, veenas, wind and percussion instruments, meaningful lyrics penned by the talented Javed Akhtar, and stunning vocals by Kumar Sanu and Kavita Krishnamurthy. These three factors combine to produce one of the greatest musical classics of Indian cinema – 1942- A Love Story. It is very tough to choose a best track from the album because every single one is a masterpiece. Hence, let me simply move on to my detailed review of each of the songs

Ek Ladki Ko Dekha To:

The fact that Kumar Sanu was at his peak when he sung this track is evident from his brilliant rendition. If Ek Ladki is still remembered so fondly it is mainly because of Sanu’s expressive and sinuous voice while comparing the hero’s ladylove to some of the most beautiful assets of nature such as the waves, the fragrance of winds, the dance of peacocks etc.

Of course, Javed’s beautiful similes and Burman’s soft background beats play a very important role in bringing freshness to the song. Such is the magical effect that I always daydream of dancing like peacocks and sparkling like waves while my lover sings this song to me. Ek Ladki is, in my opinion, one of the top five songs of Sanu, one of the top five compositions of Burman, and one of the top five lyrics of Akhtar Saheb.

Excellent - 10/10 (duh!)

Pyaar Hua Chupke Se:

If Kumar Sanu has a winner in the form of ‘Ek Ladki Ko Dekha To’ Kavita Krishnamurthy is not far behind. She transports us all into the delightful world of pristine love with her smooth vocals in ‘Pyar Hua Chupke Se’. The rhythm provided by tablas and dholaks complements her unsullied voice very well and lends a classical touch to the song.

But the best part is towards the end when we hear the chorus singing,” Bolo Na, Bolo Na, Bolo Na.” Somehow, this provides a very mysterious and an unusual ending to a romantic track. Once again, Akhtar Saheb hands us a winner, although Ek Ladki was a more creative verse, in my opinion. Pyar Hua Chupke Se – Ladies! Sing it whenever you fall in love!

Mindblowing: 10/10!

Root Na Jaana:

Truly, this is one of the glowing examples of musical genius. I have rarely seen a composer making use of very soft beats and wind instruments in order to provide sweetness to a track the way R.D.Burman has done it in Root Na Jaana. By relegating the music to the sideline Panchamda cleverly brings the singer to the forefront – the result?

We have one of the cutest, “Forgive Me” songs, and almost all the credit should go to Kumar Sanu for being so animated and charming with his voice. Root Na Jaana puts a smile onto my face each time I listen to it! Listen up guys. Want to make up with your girlfriend or impress her? Just sing this song! ;)

Expressive: 10/10!

RimJhim RimJhim:

Javed Akhtar’s picturesque poetry, the resonating voices of Kumar and Kavita, and Burman’s innovative use of instruments - what else could be the result if not a grand winner?! Beguilingly romantic, enchantingly melodic, and captivatingly pleasant, Rimjhiim Rimjhim is perhaps the best rain song we have ever seen or heard.

The track celebrates the acceptance of love for each other by a young couple. I particularly love the way Kavita trills, “A haha,” and also the phrase, “Chalte Hain!” Panchamda once again uses flutes to the best of effect, accompanied by soft beats. A song you can’t help but become addicted to!

Rain Rain, Come Again – 10/10!

Kuch Na Kaho:

“Kuch Na Kaho, Kuch Bhi Na Kaho

Kya Kehna Hai Kya Sunna Hai

Mujhko Pata Hai Tumko Pata Hai

Samay Ka Ye Pal Tham Sa gaya Hai

Aur Is Pal Me Koi Nahin Hai

Bas Ek main Hoon

Bas Ek Tum Ho

Kuch Na Kaho, Kuch Bhi Na Kaho”

(Meaning: Don't say anything. You know what should be said. I know what should be said. Our love has stopped this moment. ANd there is no one here, except me and you. Hence, do not say anything)

Why did I start with these lines? Because, out of the whole album and out of all the lines in all the songs, the above eight lines are my absolute favorite! How meaningful and romantic! I have always believed that, in the world of love, words can be concocted but feelings are always true and this song reaffirms that fact for me. When you are blissfully in love you and your partner are so at ease with each other, in a way no words can describe.

As in all his previous songs of this album R.D.Burman uses extremely soft beats in the background, which, in this song, play the role of creating an ambiance of peace, comfort, and love. Kuch Na Kaho features twice in the album – once by Kumar Sanu and the second time by Lata Mangeshkar. Both the singers do a very good job of instilling the sentiment of love into their voices, although I did prefer Sanu to Lata Ji

Soothing – 9/10

I am an ardent admirer of melodic, sweet songs and have always believed that such songs withstand the test of time and stay evergreen. Filled with identifiable emotions and a quiet, yet passionate intensity, 1942 – A Love Story is one such rare and brilliant piece of work. Kudos to R.D.Burman! Kudos to Javed Akhtar! Kudos to Kumar Sanu and Kavita Krishnamurthy!

Overall Rating - 9.75/10