• The Week That Wasn't

Thank you Guest for your contribution.
Details submitted will be verified soon.
You will receive an email once your information is published.
Product:
Landmark:
Example: Near Pali Naka
Phone Number:
Example: +91-22-26058753    Add more phone numbers
Comment:
500 characters maximum
I agree to the Terms.

Sarcasm at late night..! Read it to believe it ;-)

By: | Jan 04, 2007 12:18 AM

It is a curious fact that people are never as trivial as when they take themselves seriously!

Watching late night shows is something that I love.and yes, before I forget or others start reminding me, I still love my books, my food and my men *-)  If you have already initiated your thinking.STOP.you are not watching enough.or thinking enough! Either ways,  I better state the plain facts about my *late night rendezvous.with "repeat climaxes".of Ekta Kapoor sagas, breaking news "bites", "stormy" *political discussions with the usual "turns and twists"!. *I am already sighing.err I meant snoring!

Coming back to late night viewing, I recently caught up with a show on TV called the “The Week that wasn’t" on CNN IBN.This show was being aired at 1030 pm on Saturdays nightand a repeat telecast on Sundays at some god-knows-when time! The host.Does the name "Cyrus Broacha"rings a bell? Well, if it doesn’t, you aren’t watching the TV in broad day as well.! He is the host of the show and he does a fairly decent job with this one.infact he does a brilliant take off on this show!

If you are as TV Savvy as I am, you would have watched “The world this week".hosted by the ooh-so-suave Prannoy Roy in the old times of DD( Doordarshan!) This show is a take off on that one with presentations of news in a style akin to news channels. The news shown has happened but the meanings, context and the occurrences are changed and this makes the show a must -watch.only if you are at least reading your newspapers daily!

The show's high points are the script, one liner thrown in by Cyrus(mostly* tongue-in-cheek humor) and the news itself. The spontaneity shown by the host is what makes the show real and it doesn’t sound like a scripted one with jokes being woven around key people, breaking news and even weather forecast. The one thing that I Iike the most about the show is that the humor is subtle, sometimes on your face yet it is not below the belt.

Each show has its highs and lows.this show is a 30 minute spoof.and the jokes are not crude nor are they indigestible.but they require mature understanding.and a little above average English as most of them are fast, pun-filled sentences and listening between the lines is a must!

Cyrus!He is the 60% of the show.he speaks and speaks.he doesn’t falter nor does he spare himself.the jokes are half on him and the other half is on anyone to everyone.like Shekhar Suman, he doesn’t minces words while talking about the high and the mighty.but he does it in good spirits.you can *only sigh, gasp and laugh.on him.and that's it.he is not touchy on issues, neither is he the Samaritan of good causes.he is good with words, has intelligence which shows.

The team behind the show needs to be patted as well.a new channel with a mighty stalwart like "Rajdeep Sardesai"(!), heading it, has taken a rather offbeat step.but it is in the right direction.Humor is one aspect of all our lives which is getting constantly spanked.for reasons unknown.we have forgotten to smile on our own joys and laughing at someone.takes time and effort too! Humor is an important natural resource.and we need to preserve it.!

This show is not an epitome of laughter and smiles.but is a decent attempt at one.and manages to make me smile.even when I am dead tired after all those climaxes and bites;-)

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.it's jolted by every pebble on the road. Do not get stoned.laugh at yourself and let the damn world.laugh with you.!

How Useful was this Review?